If the central post area doesn't line up with the beige portion of the background, you may need to adjust the width of your browser window.

Thursday, May 1, 2008

Gotta love daytime TV

I had the TV on today while I ate lunch. And rather than leave it on the local news. I turned to something trashy. A daytime talk show.

I’ll admit it. I love trashy talk shows. Not quite as trashy as Springer (I don’t like the fighting), but Maury is usually just about right. And today he had one of his top-10 topics: cheating spouses take lie detector tests. Where do they get these people? Are there really that many folks in this country who feel the need to air their dirty laundry on national TV? And how do these people think they can beat a lie detector test that’s administered by a certified technician?

Even better, today’s episode included a couple who had been on a year ago. At that time, the woman revealed to her boyfriend that she had been cheating on him with his uncle, and their 1 year old daughter might actually be the uncle’s. So they took a DNA test, which indicated that the boyfriend was indeed the child’s father. He forgave his girlfriend and they have plans to be married. So why were they on today? Because she’s now cheating on him with his brother.

She told him that, and he had the best reaction I’ve seen on one of these shows. He jumped up from his chair, looked at her, and asked, “What kind of ho are you?”

And just to further the “loser” theme of the hour, there was a commercial for a lawyer that featured an upbeat jingle. Upbeat until I noticed that some of the words included “you won’t lose your house.” Then I took a look at the fine print at the bottom of the screen and noticed that it was for a bankruptcy attorney. “Start to smile while you file bankruptcy today.” And the worst part is that now it’s stuck in my head.

No comments: