If the central post area doesn't line up with the beige portion of the background, you may need to adjust the width of your browser window.

Monday, March 8, 2010

FO: Socks!

FO is knitter-speak for "Finished Object." That's a funny term, but it's the next logical step from something being a UFO (unfinished object).

Don't some internet/forum abbreviations make you giggle? UFO does that to me.

Anyway, I finished my first real knitting project. I've already made a couple of hats, and have a couple of scarves on needles. But this is my first thing that took a bunch of yarn and is more complex than a rectangle. SOCKS!

Car Guy occasionally complains of cold feet. Usually after shoveling the driveway or while watching TV in the evening. He doesn't like slippers, so I thought that a pair of wool socks would be a good slipper substitute. I did some pattern research on Ravelry, and decided that I'd make some tube socks for my first sock project. For a couple of reasons: I wouldn't have to find a specific pattern scaled for the bulky yarn I planned to use, and I wouldn't have to learn a heel technique on fuzzy yarn that makes stitches hard to see.

Unfortunately, my plan worked too well. Car Guy can't wear them for more than 15 minutes at a time because his feet get too hot in them.

I was almost done on Friday, and I wanted to have something lined up for my next project, so I found a pattern to make for me, and headed to a local yarn shop. *sigh* I wish I could have adopted all the great yarns there.

But since I was trying to keep to a budget, I got a cotton/acrylic blend to make myself a top. It's a beautiful purple color, and the yarn has some texture to it. It's a little bumpy. And it's knitting up like a textured polo shirt. Because I decided to knit the top in the round instead of in panels to be seamed together, I picked up a long circular needle at the LYS - an Addi Turbo! My stitches are just flying off that thing! It's a totally different experience than knitting on the aluminum needles that came in my Learn to Knit kit, or the bamboo and resin needles I've picked up in the meantime. I'm getting a little kinking of the cable as I knit, though. So I think that I'll try a brand with swivel connections the next time I buy a circular needle.

3 comments:

Noora K said...

My grandma sends us socks every Christmas. I know the basics of knitting, but haven't practiced in ages. And I don't know anything fancy. I may have to learn though, because if Grandma ever gets to a point that she can't furnish us with socks, my house will not be a happy place.

chefann said...

Noora, if you already know the basics then just grab a ball of cheapie yarn and practice a little. And get thee to ravelry.com, where you can find discussions of all sorts of knitting, crocheting, spinning, etc. Folks there are more than happy to share their expertise and answer any questions you may have.

ChelleC said...

I love those socks you made for Car Guy. I enjoy reading about your birds - and appreciate your posts in the Rav bird forum. Glad to find your blog too! Chelle