If the central post area doesn't line up with the beige portion of the background, you may need to adjust the width of your browser window.

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Looking for a gift?

NaBloPoMo day 21



Now's the time of year when we start seeing gift guides to help us select gifts for the hard to buy for. There's usually something outrageous on the lists. Something that makes you wonder a) why anyone made it in the first place; b) why someone thinks anyone would buy it; and c) just what's the target market again? The knife pictured to the left is just such an item.


It was included in an email I received from a shopping list service. And I knew I had to share when I saw the picture.


As far as I'm concerned, this is one of those things that has bastardized a good idea. The Swiss Army Knife is meant to be a compact, easily-carried piece of equipment that has a couple of versatile tools on it. Recent versions have included some specialty tools like tools to tighten bicycle spokes. But that's OK - as long as it's aimed at those users and the specialty tools have replaced others, keeping the size of the knife in check. This version is clearly an illustration of "more is not always better." What's hard to see in the picture is exactly how many tools are included. There are 85 tools on that baby. 85! That's every tool currently produced by the manufacturer. It weighs 2 pounds, 11 ounces, slightly more than a quart of milk. A quart of milk may seem light, but strap one to your belt one day and see if your pants stay up.


What's the weirdest thing you've seen on holiday gift guides? Please share!


By the way, to purchase the behemoth, go to Think Geek.

1 comment:

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

Ha! I'd love to send that to my kid just to get a response from him. That's the most cumbersome tool I'd ever seen; I imagine using the fork and eating a meal with that thing.

I'll keep those odd holiday gifts in mind, and get back to you.