If the central post area doesn't line up with the beige portion of the background, you may need to adjust the width of your browser window.

Thursday, May 15, 2008

Irony

I saw two things on TV yesterday that not only bookended the day, but were a perfect illustration of irony.


Since I'm not working full time any more, I've got free time in the morning. I get up and make Car Guy's lunch, and don't have to worry about getting myself out of the house. That's when I usually read my marked blogs, check if my Etsy shop had any sales that need to go out in the mail, etc. Car Guy usually leaves the TV on when he leaves the house. And because we watch the local NBC affiliate for local news and weather, I usually end up having the Today Show on (even if I'm not actively watching it).


Another of my guilty pleasures is, um... dare I admit it? Watching America's Next Top Model. Yesterday was the final episode of Season 10. There has already been controversy about the season, because one of the contestants was not a US citizen and didn't have a passport. She missed a photo shoot while she went to her homeland's embassy to get paperwork. The rules as outlined currently on the network's website indicate that contestants must be US citizens with valid passports, so as far as I'm concerned, she should have been disqualified and eliminated from the competition. (She was given the boot in the final episode, after making it to the final 3. In the interest of full disclosure, I'll admit to dancing around the living room with glee when she had to leave.)


All this backstory finally leads us to the irony. On yesterday's Today show (there's a potentially confusing phrase), there was a story about models being so thin. It included info about a model who was told that her legs were too fat, and she wears a size 0 to size 2! At the other end of the day, ANTM named their winner: this season's full-figured model, who was the first in the show's history to make it to the second half of the competition, let alone the finale.


If that isn't ironic, I don't know what is.


===

And on an unrelated note, a sign I submitted was included on Crummy Church Signs

No comments: