If the central post area doesn't line up with the beige portion of the background, you may need to adjust the width of your browser window.

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Breast Cancer Awareness Month


In case you've been living in a cave, or haven't seen the plethora of pink items on store shelves, October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. So? So I'm doing a few things this year to help raise funds for this cause.



I'm walking in the Making Strides Against Breast Cancer walk on the 18th in Detroit. If you're interested in walking with me, click the "Join my team" link to the right. Not near Detroit, or can't walk? I accept any and all donations. Despite what the thermometer indicates, I'm about halfway to my goal of $500. (The thermometer only shows donations made by people who clicked the thermometer.) All of the money donated goes to the American Cancer Society. If you have a spare $5, please consider donating it.



My Etsy shop is helping me raise money, too. Through the end of the month, 100% of the proceeds from sales of breast cancer items will go to the ACS. And profits from the sale of all other items. So get some Christmas shopping done - buy someone some jewelry, a scarf, or a rosary.



The kitchen tools company with which I'm affiliated has pink items available in October, too. Email me (through my profile) for a link to my website. I'm not allowed to post a link to my page with them for shopping - but I do appreciate any and all sales that I get this month. The pink items ARE charity items. $1 from the sale of each will be donated to the ACS.



And? So? The research that's funded by the ACS helps more than just breast cancer patients. Advances in treatment often cross over to other cancers. Early detection programs, including mammography for underprivileged women, increase survival rates and help keep families from losing someone. Your support, even in these uncertain economic times, can help strengthen families and help people for many years to come.